"Some women have a weakness for shoes...I can go barefoot if necessary. I have a weakness for books."
Oprah Winfrey

Buy all my reviewed books here on The Book Depository

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Sing You Home


One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. Like her House Rules and several other previous Jodi Picoult novels, Sing You Home grapples with hot button issues. The novel also includes a CD of songs, each matched with a chapter in the book. Perfect for book clubs.



I quite liked this book but not as much as I've liked previous Picoult books. I've found the last few books I've read by her were a bit of a let down compared to usual. I've been reading them out of order so this is not a reflection of her recent works. I didn't necessarily feel let down by this book but I definitely wouldn't put it up there with her best.

I found the breakdown of Max and Zoe's relationship very realistic but everything that happened after that was quite rushed and not so realistic. The relationship happened extremely fast between Zoe and Vanessa. I thought it was very strange that Zoe would just fall in love with Vanessa without having any confusion herself. It seemed like Picoult was rushing the relationship to get to the battle at the end which is what her real story was about. 

I liked that the story was told from the three different perspectives that it was. It made it more interesting. I didn't bother with the CD that accompanied the book as I found it a bit gimmicky.

It is definitely worth a read for Picoult fans but for new Picoult readers I would recommend another of her books to begin with.


Divaliciouz Rating      *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comment, good or otherwise. I can hack it, I'm a tough diva!