"Some women have a weakness for shoes...I can go barefoot if necessary. I have a weakness for books."
Oprah Winfrey

Buy all my reviewed books here on The Book Depository

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes



A witty novel of second chances from internationally bestselling author Marian Keyes

As the youngest of the five Walsh girls, Helen has had a tough time finding her way in the world—at thirty-three, she has her job as a private investigator that has proven less than fruitful and after losing her flat, she’s moved back in with Mammy Walsh. Her hunky new boyfriend, Artie, and his three adorable children are a great distraction, but his beautiful ex-wife lives a little too close for comfort. Meanwhile, Helen runs into her ex-boyfriend Jay Parker and reluctantly signs on to help him locate Wayne Diffney, the recently disappeared fourth member of Ireland’s biggest mid-nineties boy band, Laddz. Of the five Laddz, the Talented One has long gone on to better things, but the Cute One, the Gay One, and the Other One are all busily shunning carbs and rehearsing their reunion tour, and it’s Helen’s job to track down Wayne, the Wacky One. Wayne hasn’t left a trace, and Helen throws herself into the search wholeheartedly, leaving no stone unturned while watching her own life slowly fall apart, one unpaid bill at a time.



Ah Marian Keyes...one of my very favourite authors is back! And with a Walsh Family novel to make life even sweeter!! Marian Keyes is amazing and I have always found it rather insulting that people refer to her novels as chic-lit. To me, she is far far better than that (not that there is anything wrong with chic-lit, just that it is very formatted). She writes about real people in real everyday, gritty situations. Her characters don't just have the stereotypical 'oh I can't find a good man' problems, but the very realistic problems of depression, addiction, debt, death etc. Many of which she has dealt with herself.

As any true fan of Keyes will know, this lady has not had it easy. A recovering addict who suffers severe bouts of depression she is not afraid to show her own feelings in her writing. She wrote this particular story while going through these feelings and you can really feel in the words of Helen Walsh that these are feelings genuinely had by Keyes herself, and not just some writer who has done research.

Helen has always been one of my favourite Walsh sisters. I always knew there was something more going on behind her mad facade. And boy was there! I always loved her relationship in particular with Mammy Walsh. I think they bring out the funniest lines in each other. I would have liked to have heard a bit more about what was going on with the other sisters but I always live in hope that one day she will write a Walsh Family novel where each character gets their own chapters. I cannot get enough of them and every loyal reader will know what I mean.

I think this is probably my least favourite of the Walsh novels but this does not mean that I didn't like it. I actually loved it.


Divaliciouz Rating       *****


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comment, good or otherwise. I can hack it, I'm a tough diva!